Important Message
We Are Open! Call Us Today. No Waiting Room Available but Service Hatch is in Operation at the Front of our Office. Extended Collection & Delivery Available - All Courtesy Cars in Operation. Call for Details and Availability.. Home of the £15 MOT...PPE in Place..

Tips for travelling in Europe

If you’re hitting the road and heading to Europe this Summer, make sure you have done your research and know all the essentials you need to pack. Here’s our checklist so you can make sure you’re prepared.

There are a number of things you need to know and pack if you’re heading to Europe in the car. Before we dive in, it’s important to know what when Brexit comes into place and we leave the EU, these rules and requirements will change. We will be posting an update on that so keep your eyes peeled for guidance.

To start with, there are certain documents you will be required to have on your journey, these are:

  • Full, valid driving licence and national insurance number
  • Proof of vehicle insurance
  • Proof of ID (passport)
  • V5C Certificate
  • Travel insurance documents
  • European Breakdown Cover policy number and documents
  • Valid TAX and MOT
  • Crit’air sticker

There’s a list of equipment you’ll need in your car too:

  • Reflective jackets (there must be one for each passenger and be kept within the cabin of the car)
  • Warning triangle (compulsory in most countries)
  • Headlamp beam deflectors (depending on your car, you’ll either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
  • Breathalyser (compulsory in France)
  • Safety helmets are compulsory for riders and passengers of motorcyclists and moped users
  • GB car sticker (if you don’t have a GB Euro number plate)
  • First aid kit (compulsory in Austria, France and Germany)

If you need more guidance, you can head to the RAC website and they also recommend you have the following to hand, although they are not compulsory; fire extinguisher, replacement bulbs, torch, fuel can, extra engine oil and water, sat-nav, blanket, sun cream, refreshments, games for the kids, supplies of medication, photocopies of documents and a European health insurance card.

If you want a health check on your car before you go, visit MotorServ-UK Solihull and happy travelling!